Tuesday, November 25, 2014

"Whom have I in heaven, but you?"

In a new devotional book I have been reading lately called New Morning Mercies by Paul David Tripp, I have been convicted and challenged with an important truth. Many times, I look to so many other things for contentment and satisfaction. Things such as going to the beach or watching a movie or going running or spending time on facebook or even serving in ministry - things that are not necessarily wrong, but tend to be more my focus than God Himself.
Psalm 73:25-26 says, "Whom have I in heaven but you? And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever!"
Oh, how I pray that this prayer of David's would be mine! Nothing wrong with the things I enjoy doing, but if they take precedence over God in my life, something is wrong.
An interesting quote from this book says, "Most beautiful fruits of grace - a heart that is content, more given to worship than demand and more given to the joy of gratitude than the anxiety of want."
My prayer this Thanksgiving is that God give me more a heart of contentment, a deeper gratitude for what He has given me through His only son Christ.that takes me to a greater desire for Him each day! Please pray for me in that area as well.

This Thanksgiving, I would also like to say thank you for your daily prayers for me, as well as, your sacrificial support. I also greatly appreciate your comments on my blog or some of your encouraging remarks on facebook or even occasional emails. What a blessing it is to hear from friends and family back home!

Additional things I am thankful for:

Teaching my nephews and niece





Field Trips



Children's church 


Making new friendships and learning to grow together




Spending time with family 






Fellowshipping with the body of Christ






Bible Studies






His Creation 











Friends & Family Back Home (Sorry I don't have pictures of everyone!) =)








Serving on a short term missions trip with my brother and sister-in-law and family



Learning moments

Although I have many learning moments I could share, I am just going to share one. This Thanksgiving, I took on the challenge of learning how to make a Thanksgiving goodie that required additional work. 
My challenges were baking a pumpkin and figuring online how to turn my regular milk into evaporated milk. Thanks for patience and a little help from my sister-in-law, Christen, the recipe I found online turned out for our missionary Thankgiving get-together - 
Pumpkin Bars with Pecans & Oatmeal! 





May you all have a blessed Thanksgiving!



No comments: